Very present in wholegrain bread recipes, rye flour is a food known to be a healthier option compared to wheat flour. But do you really know the properties of this food? Find out what it is, what its benefits are and some recipes that take the ingredient in the article below!
What is rye flour
According to nutritionist Luanna Caramalac Munaro (CRN-3 49383), a postgraduate in functional clinical nutrition, “rye flour is a cereal from the same family as wheat and barley flour”. For this reason, it is a cereal that contains gluten – but, unlike the other two foods, it is richer in fiber.
Regarding the inclusion of this food in the low-carb diet, the nutritionist explains that “there are no low-carb foods, but it is possible to include rye flour in a low-carb strategy, if the person is able to metabolize this food easily”.
7 benefits of rye flour that will convince you to include the ingredient in your menu
From the large presence of proteins in its composition to helping to prevent diseases, this type of flour can be a strong ally in the diet of those looking for a healthier and more nutritious diet. Check out its benefits:
- High protein content: Anyone who wants to have a high protein diet can benefit a lot from it. According to nutritionist Luana Munaro, this food is a great plant source of protein, and can be a great ally for those who follow vegan or vegetarian diets.
- High amount of dietary fiber: the nutritionist comments that “the high fiber content in the composition of rye flour can lead to slower digestion, which is capable of promoting a prolonged feeling of satiety”.
- Properties that strengthen bones: rich in calcium and potassium, flour can help strengthen bones and muscle mass, according to Munaro.
- Helps control cholesterol: Munaro explains that rye flour can also help control cholesterol, as it is rich in B vitamins.
- It has antioxidant substances: those looking for foods that prevent premature aging can invest in rye flour. According to the nutritionist, “rye flour is rich in flavonoids, which have antioxidant properties”.
- Stimulates the production of serotonin: another benefit of rye flour is that food is an ally in the production of serotonin – known as the happiness hormone. This is because rye flour is “rich in tryptophan, the amino acid precursor of serotonin”, explains Luanna.
- Rich in minerals: in addition to these benefits, flour is also a source of several minerals. According to the nutritionist, the main ones are magnesium, copper and zinc, which contribute to the proper functioning of the brain and to keep the circulatory system healthy.
In addition to being a good option for those who follow a low carb diet, rye flour is also a great ally in disease prevention and for those who want to lead a life with more nutritious and healthy foods!
Rye Flour X Wheat Flour
Although they belong to the same food family, rye flour and wheat flour have some different properties. According to Luanna Munaro, “rye flour has a greater amount of fiber and complex carbohydrates, which lead to slower digestion and, therefore, can promote a greater feeling of satiety”. Despite this, the nutritionist explains that many people do not easily metabolize this type of flour, as with wheat flour.
Recipes with rye flour
Now that you know the benefits of this type of flour, check out some recipes that prove its versatility to include this food in your menu:
1. Wholemeal wafer
Made with rye flour and chia seeds, this wholemeal cookie is a great bet for anyone looking to prepare a healthy and practical afternoon snack. The advantage is that, in addition to being easy to make, the cookie is ideal to take to work or wherever you are!
2. Wholemeal pizza dough
If you prefer lighter and thinner pizza dough, you need to try this recipe! The mild flavor makes the filling stand out, and the ingredients are healthier and more nutritious than those used in traditional dough.
3. Rye pie
With a thin and tasty crust and an irresistible filling of broccoli, leek and cottage cheese, this pie will leave your afternoon coffee with much more flavor! In addition, the flour, used in the dough, brings all the properties and benefits that the ingredient can offer.
4. Rye bread
Made with only water, olive oil, dry yeast, sugar and rye flour, this bread is ideal for a breakfast that brings satiety and is full of nutrients. And best of all, it’s super easy to prepare!
5. Australian bread with rye
Soft on the inside and with an irresistible crust on the outside, this Australian bread goes perfectly with butter and will please those palates that can’t resist a sweet touch in savory recipes. The flour, in addition to the nutritional properties, still brings an irresistible flavor to the dish!
Rich in nutrients and flavor, this option is a great addition to your menu. For a change, how about knowing the properties of almond flour?
The information contained on this page is for informational purposes only. They do not replace the advice and follow-up of doctors, nutritionists, psychologists, physical education professionals and other specialists.
Are You Ready to Discover Your Twin Flame?
Answer just a few simple questions and Psychic Jane will draw a picture of your twin flame in breathtaking detail: