Despite being practiced by those who exercise daily, stretching is for everyone, even for those who are sedentary. The practice brings several benefits and much more. Learn more about it and start practicing too!
What is stretching?
Stretching by itself is already a kind of physical exercise. The practice consists of stretching muscles to improve flexibility and offers many other benefits.
7 great reasons to stretch
- Helps in muscle elasticity;
- It is good for improving sleep quality;
- Accelerates recovery from injuries;
- Improves posture;
- Helps to strengthen muscles;
- Offers well-being by releasing serotonin;
- Relieves stress.
Yes, these reasons will make you want to stretch every day. After all, who doesn’t want all these benefits in life?
Stretches you can do at home
Taking advantage of time at home doing exercises can be more pleasurable. Stretching at home is easy and quick to do. Here are some tips to get you started:
1. Basic stretching for beginners
- Stand up so that the spine is straight;
- Place your hands on your hips;
- Move the neck from side to side, from top to bottom;
- Rotate the neck clockwise and then counterclockwise;
- Join hands and raise them;
- Stretch to the max;
- Lean from side to side.
This stretch is the start to the basic stretch for all ages. To check it out, press play!
Although basic, the exercise is very complete and can be done by anyone who wants to achieve better performance in practices such as yoga.
2. Fast stretching
- Place one leg in front of the other;
- Bend it a little;
- Make a forward and backward movement by bending and unfolding the knee;
- Change your hand from leg to leg as you do the stretch.
This is the first step in a quick stretch that can be done before or after a workout, or for when you’re not in too much of a hurry.
The exercise brings a more dynamic way to stretch, stretching the muscles and relaxing them. You will only need a rug and comfortable clothes.
3. Complete stretching
- Lying on your stomach, place your right hand supporting your face;
- Bring your left foot to your left hand;
- Hold your left foot with your left hand and stretch it for 20 seconds;
- Repeat the process switching sides.
The full stretch requires more attention and more focus. This video brings a complete exercise for the muscles.
You will stretch your neck, upper and lower limbs, and relax with a deep breath.
4. Stretching for the spine
- Lying down, bring your legs close to your belly;
- Hug your legs;
- Breathe deeply.
This exercise is very easy and can relieve back pain. Now, if you prefer, you can perform a complete spine stretch with the step-by-step video below.
These are exercises you can do at home, leaning on the couch and lying on a rug. Breathing is the main ally in this practice.
5. Stretching for pregnant women
- With your back straight, place both hands forward;
- Close your hands, clenching your fists;
- Make light movements bringing your fists up and down.
This exercise is the first in a series of stretching exercises for pregnant women. It should be light and smooth, without too much effort.
This stretch helps to relieve the swelling caused by pregnancy, as well as relaxing the mother, as well as helping to prepare for childbirth.
As you have seen, stretching can be done at home and in a simple way. If you introduce it into your routine, you will see the benefits. Now, if you want to learn more about stretching practices, how about some yoga for beginners?
With Knowledge Comes Wisdom
Walk comfortably in both Darkness and Light with these digital Books of Shadows: