The ovulation inducer is a good treatment option for women who want to get pregnant, but have problems in the ovulatory process that make this process difficult. In this matter, gynecologist and obstetrician Dr Camilla Pinheiro (CRM 154573) answered the main doubts on the subject, explaining how it works and what are the risks and contraindications of this treatment.
What is an ovulation inducer and what is it used for?
The ovulation inducer is a type of “clomiphene citrate drug” that helps a woman’s body to normalize ovulation. According to gynecologist Camila Pinheiro, the ovulation process occurs every month, but “there are cases of irregular ovulation that can prevent a possible pregnancy. For these cases, the use of ovulation inducers is recommended.”
Questions about ovulation inducer
To understand the functioning of the drug and for which cases it is indicated, check out the answers of the professional on the subject below:
- When to take ovulation inducer? The gynecologist indicates the drug for cases in which the woman cannot get pregnant. “Usually, treatment should start between the 3rd and 7th day of menstruation. The doctor follows up by ultrasound, identifying the best day for sexual intercourse. In cases of artificial insemination, the process is the same”, added Camila.
- What are the remedies to induce ovulation? And which is the best? The most common indication is the use of clomiphene-based drugs, as they “act on the brain, stimulating the hypothalamus-pituitary gland to produce more LH and FSH, hormones that also stimulate the ovaries to release more eggs”.
- What are the types of ovulation inducers? “To induce ovulation, doctors use two types of drug processes: parenteral, injectable gonadotropins and oral administration, which are more affordable and easily accessible, based on clomiphene”, explained Camila.
- Which ovulation inducer for twins? The gynecologist explained that the drug is not specific for twin pregnancy. According to her, the drug “facilitates a multiple pregnancy, but not all women who use the ovulation inducer will have a pregnancy with more than one baby.”
- Is there any natural ovulation inducer? “Yam tea is a natural ovulation inducer, as it stimulates the production of the ovaries releasing 2 or more eggs. In addition, it can also prolong the fertile period.”
- Is there an ovulation inducer for people with polycystic ovaries? Some women with polycystic ovary syndrome can use ovulation inducers, the doctor explained that the “effect will depend on the form of use and the dose used”.
- How many days after using the inducer does ovulation occur? “Usually, ovulation occurs between 6 to 12 days after administration of inducers.”
- Are there any side effects of using the ovulation inducer? The gynecologist mentioned some of the side effects that can occur, such as swelling, breast pain, tiredness, irritability and headaches. In addition, “in rarer cases, ovulation induction can cause ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) – a life-threatening complication for the patient,” added Camila.
This treatment is usually effective and is positive for most women. However, consult your doctor to evaluate your case and recommend the best treatment for you.
Risks and contraindications of the ovulation inducer
According to the gynecologist, the use of ovulation inducers, in some cases, can harm the endometrium. That’s because “the hormones contained in the medication can make the endometrium thin (4 mm), so the baby won’t be able to fix it properly. For Camila in a healthy pregnancy, the thickness of the “endometrium must be at least 8 mm”. Therefore, it is important to consult a specialized doctor to indicate the best treatment.
There are several factors that contribute to a woman not being able to get pregnant. So enjoy and learn more about the main causes of infertility and the treatments indicated.
Graduated in Letters and post-graduated in Digital Journalism. Passionate about books, plants and animals. She loves to travel and research other cultures. She writes on a variety of subjects, especially health, wellness, beauty and behavior.
See more content from Erika Balbino
Are You Ready to Discover Your Twin Flame?
Answer just a few simple questions and Psychic Jane will draw a picture of your twin flame in breathtaking detail: