When completing six months of life, it is indicated that the baby begins to receive complementary food to breastfeeding. Meals should be supplemented with fruits, vegetables and juices and experts recommend that between 6 to 8 months of the baby, when he can already sit with support, a high chair is purchased.
It is common to find parents who prefer to feed the baby on their lap until he is big enough to sit at the table, but this practice is not recommended by pediatricians.
The feeding chair is an important item, as it accustoms the baby, from an early age, to a place and times for their meals, helping to create a feeding routine. In addition, it is an important safety item when feeding the baby.
Currently, a wide variety of brands and models of feeding chairs are available in the market. There are chairs that are attached to the table; the traditional models, where the car seat and the tray are raised by a high support and the booster, seats that are fastened with belts to the chairs, elevating the child. With so much variety, it is common to have doubts when choosing the best option. Check out some tips that can help you:
- Seat Belt: as the highchair is high, one of the main components is the seat belt, which should preferably be five-point;
- Retainer between legs: prefer models that have the leg retainer, as this item prevents the child from slipping under the tray;
- Castor on the feet or non-slip feet: there are models that have casters that make it easy to drag it around the house. If the armchair you choose doesn’t have wheels, ideally it has non-slip feet, so it doesn’t slip;
- Safety Lock: check if the product has a safety lock, which does not allow the chair to close and hurt the baby;
- Comfort: prefer a model that has a padded, soft and fluffy cover;
- Ease of cleaning: choose a model that is made of a waterproof material. Choose options where the parts that get dirty more often can be easily removed for washing;
- Height adjustments: prefer models that have the option to adjust the height of the chair, tray and other accessories.
It is also important to check the Inmetro seal to ensure the security inspected by the agency.
How long should the chair be used?
manuals state that the feeding chairs support an average of 15 kg. He estimates that around three years of age, the use of the highchair should be replaced, since the child can already reach the table with the help of a pillow to raise the seat of the chair.
Despite being very useful, experts recommend that the highchair is not used as a punishment seat and also not positioned in front of the television. In addition, models with music and toys should be avoided, since the main focus of the moment should be family meals.
Discover some models available on the market and choose yours:
With Knowledge Comes Wisdom
Walk comfortably in both Darkness and Light with these digital Books of Shadows: