The pata-de-vaca, also known as nail-de-boi or hand-of-vaca, is a plant native to the Brazilian Atlantic Forest. Its leaves are widely used for their medicinal properties. To learn more about it, nutritionist Joice Oliveira (CRN 09100489), explained the benefits of pata-de-vaca tea, the contraindications and taught how to make it! Check out!
What is cow’s paw tea used for?
The pata-de-vaca is a Brazilian plant whose scientific name is forficata bahíniaand according to the nutritionist, “generally its leaves are used to aid in diuresis and in the treatment of diseases of the urinary system”.
How to drink cow’s paw tea
The professional commented that the tea “can be ingested by any adult and there is no best time to consume it”. However, there are some forms of use for medicinal purposes that can be by leaves, bark or flowers. The proper amount should be guided by the doctor or herbalist.
5 benefits of cow’s paw tea you need to know
Below, check out the main benefits of pata-de-vaca tea cited by the nutritionist:
- Diuretic effect: Joice explained that tea “improves the body’s hydration and, as it has a diuretic effect, it contributes to the proper functioning of the urinary system”;
- Helps to lose weight: for having diuretic action, the professional said that “tea helps in the process of weight loss and reduction of fluid retention”. Only the drink cannot promote weight loss, it is necessary to associate it with a balanced diet and physical exercises;
- Reduces the risk of urinary tract infection: according to the nutritionist, as it has a diuretic effect and stimulates the elimination of urine, tea also reduces the risk of urinary tract infection, a very common problem among women;
- Helps eliminate toxins: the professional commented that the drink “improves the body’s detox because of the polyphenols”, these substances have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that are beneficial to health;
- Antioxidant action: the extract of the leaves of the pata-de-vaca has potent antioxidant action, which is why Joice informed that the tea “helps in the supply of antioxidants in the organism”.
According to the nutritionist, there are studies that prove the effectiveness of tea to control blood sugar. However, these studies were done in laboratory mice, so it is not safe to say that people with diabetes can have the same benefit.
Contraindications of pata-de-vaca tea to watch out for
The nutritionist informed that pata-de-vaca tea “can only be taken by adults, except people who have hypoglycemia, high blood pressure or pregnant women”. In addition, she reinforces that it is important to pay attention to the chronic use of this plant, as it can cause chronic diarrhea and change the functioning of the kidneys due to the laxative and diuretic function.
How to make cow’s paw tea
Then, check out the step-by-step guide to make the pata-de-vaca tea recommended by Joice and enjoy all its properties:
- Boil 300 ml of water and when it starts to bubble, turn off the heat;
- Add a handful of pata-de-vaca leaves to the water and let it infuse for 15 minutes;
- After that, strain and the tea will be ready;
- Drink it right away, because that way, the tea doesn’t lose the polyphenols – substances that help in detox;
- Add a lemon peel or a piece of ginger to the water to make the tea tastier!
Teas have been widely used to help prevent and even assist in the treatment of diseases. Enjoy and learn more about the health benefits and properties of yam tea!
The information contained on this page is for informational purposes only. They do not replace the advice and follow-up of doctors, nutritionists, psychologists, physical education professionals and other specialists.
Graduated in Letters and post-graduated in Digital Journalism. Passionate about books, plants and animals. She loves to travel and research other cultures. She writes on a variety of subjects, especially health, wellness, beauty and behavior.
See more content from Erika Balbino
Are You Ready to Discover Your Twin Flame?
Answer just a few simple questions and Psychic Jane will draw a picture of your twin flame in breathtaking detail: