Hard to find someone who, in the cold, doesn’t surrender to a delicious green broth! A success in most homes, especially in winter, this is a traditional Portuguese soup, made with potatoes and cabbage cut into very thin strips.
But, as creativity is a keyword in the kitchen, over time many variations of the traditional recipe have emerged: for example, with cauliflower replacing potatoes; bacon instead of pepperoni sausage; light and/or meatless versions, etc.
In other words, when it comes to green broth, today, there are no rules! The important thing is to find ingredients that match each other, ensuring a soup that sustains, warms up (in the case of cold days) and pleases for the taste!
Despite “fitting like a glove” in winter, the caldo verde can also be enjoyed at other times of the year, being served less hot (just let it cool a little before serving) and/or on those mild nights!
Get inspired by the recipes below and make your green broth whenever you feel like it, whether it’s basic, light or more elaborate!
Simple and tasty broths
1. Basic green broth: to make this simple recipe you will only need onion, garlic, potato, sausage, vegetable broth, salt and black pepper. Great choice for a dinner on a cooler day.
2. Mother’s green broth: a warm broth, drizzled with olive oil, goes very well, right? Even better if it’s accompanied by fresh bread! Preparing the broth is easy and the result is an ideal meal for cold days!
3. Simple green broth: easy to make, but full of flavor! You will use chopped potatoes, garlic and onions, chicken broth, oil, salt, pepper, water, chopped kale and smoked pepperoni sausage.
4. Whipped green broth: the recipe uses only potatoes, cabbage, garlic, onion, pepperoni sausage, olive oil, salt, black pepper and cumin. The tip is to chop the cabbage short and thin, which makes it a lot easier when having the soup. And you can add more or less water as per your taste.
5. Creamy green broth: you will need cabbage, chives, potatoes, salt, pepperoni or bacon, filtered water, chicken broth and seasoning to taste. In this recipe, the broth has a firmer texture, but if you prefer a thinner broth, just add more water.
6. Practical green broth: delicious, nutritious, easy to prepare and with ingredients that are easily found, this green broth can be made at any time of the year, but, of course, it is in winter that it is most successful!
7. Green broth under pressure: you will need onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepperoni sausage, meat broth, potatoes cut into large pieces, water and chopped kale. Then basically everything goes into the pressure cooker for about 12 minutes. That is, an easy and quick preparation!
8. Green broth with baroa potato: simple, colorful and very tasty, it’s the ideal recipe for cold nights! You will basically use the baroa potato, pepperoni sausage, cabbage, garlic and onion.
9. Green broth with smoked sausage: a cream soup that is as easy and practical to make as it is comforting, delicious and very cheap. It’s just four ingredients, 20 minutes and lots of compliments are guaranteed.
10. Caldo verde with cauliflower: a less caloric version of the traditional green broth, to help “those who want to keep fit”. The recipe uses cauliflower, garlic, onion, cabbage, water, salt, chorizo and olive oil.
11. Green yam broth: good tip for those who like to vary, the yam replaces the potato in this version of green broth. In addition to it, you will need onion, pepperoni sausage, oil, salt, nutmeg, cabbage and black pepper.
12. Green cornmeal broth: to make this delicious soup, a good tip is to make it in a high pot, because it splashes a lot and you can burn yourself. The preparation is very simple, the recipe is vegan and serves up to 2 people.
13. Green broth with broccoli: a delicious and smooth recipe that, in addition to broccoli, takes potatoes, manioc, garlic, pout pepper, calabrese sausage, olive oil and salt.
14. Green broth with what you have: the tip is to make this broth with cabbage, carrots, chayote, zucchini, garlic, onions or, simply, with whatever you have in the fridge! Good alternative for when you feel like having a soup, but you weren’t prepared for a very elaborate recipe!
15. Sauteed green broth: the preparation is simple and the result is a very tasty broth. The tip is to sauté a slice of chopped pepperoni (in its own fat) and then throw the chopped cabbage on top, waiting for it to wilt a little.
16. Delicious green broth: to make this flavorful broth, you’ll need potatoes, Portuguese sausage, bacon, onion, garlic, bay leaves, kale, black pepper, olive oil and water.
17. Green broth with braided cheese: a quick and easy broth to make, in addition to being very tasty! There’s no secret, you’ll basically use chopped vegetables, seasonings and a mixer or blender. Ideal for cold and lazy nights.
18. Caldo verde with a touch of white wine: recipe for the traditional Portuguese green broth, which yields six servings. You will use potatoes, sausage, cabbage, onions, garlic, olive oil, sour cream, vegetable stock, white wine, salt and pepper.
19. Green broth with a touch of sweet paprika and bay leaf: easy to prepare and full of flavor. If you find it easier, you don’t even need to sauté the cabbage, it can be put raw even in the hot broth, but the tip is to sauté it exactly so that it gets the taste of pepperoni.
20. Caldo verde courgette: a healthy and very tasty soup. You will need courgettes, onions, garlic, chayote, water, salt, olive oil and chorizo.
21. Green broth with paio: paio gives a special touch to this broth! The tip is to use a good vegetable broth to make this delight, and a good olive oil to sauté the vegetables, as this also makes a difference in the final result.
22. Green broth with cassava, sausage and smoked ribs: a gluten-free recipe. In this delicious broth, in addition to cassava, you will use smoked rib slats, ham sausage, olive oil, water, onion, garlic, pepper, cabbage butter and green smell.
23. Green broth with bacon and paio: a broth full of flavor, especially due to the use of bacon and paio. In addition to them, you will need cabbage, water, chicken broth, potatoes and toast.
24. Green broth with pepperoni and bacon: to make this more than complete green broth, you will need potatoes, olive oil, onion, garlic, pepperoni, bacon, cabbage, chicken or beef broth, salt and black pepper .
25. Green broth with pepperoni and pork ribs: there are no secrets to preparing this broth that, in general, pleases everyone in the house! You will use potatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil, pepperoni sausage, smoked pork ribs (optional), salt, black pepper and kale.
26. Green broth with spinach, leeks and pepper: easy to prepare, this soup is made in the pressure cooker to speed up cooking. The various ingredients used, such as onions, garlic, sausage, etc., guarantee a lot of flavor to the broth, which is the ideal meal on cold days!
Light and healthy broths
27. Vegan green pea broth: delicious and rich in calcium. this broth, in addition to being nutritious, has a beautiful color, so even children who are not very “fans” of soups or green foods will want to try it!
28. Organic Green Broth: This recipe makes four servings and you’ll need broccoli, organic brown rice, functional green cubes, onion, garlic, organic virgin olive oil, salt, black pepper and grated Parmesan cheese.
29. Caldo verde fit: unfortunately, for those on a diet, the traditional Portuguese soup is not very suitable, as it contains a lot of potato and paio. But, how about reducing the amount of potato, adding sweet potato and removing the paio?!
30. Light green broth: in this recipe the potato is replaced by cauliflower, which is much lighter (has much less carbohydrates and calories, with a little more protein). If you want to make your green broth even lighter, you can replace the sausage with another leaner option, such as chicken or turkey breast.
31. Light green broth with turkey breast: light version of this delight, it only takes two potatoes and the sausage is replaced by turkey breast. The result is basically the same flavor as traditional soup, very creamy and delicious, but with fewer calories.
32. Simple Vegan Green Broth: To make this delicious vegan broth, you will only need garlic, onion, potatoes, water, cabbage and salt. As it does not take sausage or paio, it is a lighter version compared to the traditional recipe.
33. Low carb green broth with cauliflower: as cauliflower traditionally replaces potatoes in some dishes in a low carb diet, nothing more obvious than risking a low carb green broth! The result is amazing and just as satisfying as the version with potatoes.
34. Low carb green broth with chayote: a delicious green broth in a low carb and healthier version. Super easy to make and as delicious as the original recipe. The chayote enters replacing the potato and, of course, giving flavor and good texture to the soup.
Now, when you go to make your next green broth, you already know that you can get away from the traditional and make a more or less elaborate soup, with the ingredients that you like the most! And, to live up to the name “caldo verde”, basically, just don’t forget about the cabbage cut into very thin strips!
Are You Ready to Discover Your Twin Flame?
Answer just a few simple questions and Psychic Jane will draw a picture of your twin flame in breathtaking detail: