It may seem strange, but some of the most common foods in our daily lives can be the cause of serious damage to health: they are the so-called inflammatory foods. Never heard of it?
Inflammation, in general, is a process in which the body’s defense mechanisms act against an infection. But sometimes the immune system causes inflammation without actually having an infection, because of microorganisms it considers foreign. And it is this reaction that inflammatory foods can trigger.
Some harmful effects are easy to notice, such as weight gain, discomfort or abdominal bloating – damage that, at first, may not even seem that serious. But according to Michelle Schoffro, nutritionist and doctor of traditional natural medicine, inflammatory foods have been linked to serious health problems, chronic diseases like cancer, arthritis, diabetes, obesity and heart problems.
With the industrialization process, foods started to be loaded with additives such as dyes, pesticides and other chemical substances. In addition, excess sugar and fat also began to severely compromise its nutritional quality.
And these villains are more common than you might imagine: bread, meat and dairy products are on the list. Alcohol and fried foods are also cited as harmful to the body.
The list below indicates the 12 foods that cause the most inflammation and that, in Dr. Michelle, should be avoided already! For her, the ideal is to reduce their consumption as much as possible, until you can eliminate them from your menu for good. Meet:
- Fast foods are at the top of the list. This is thanks to the harmful substances found in most of them, such as oil, sugar, artificial sweeteners and a host of other unhealthy ingredients.
- Trans and hydrogenated fats, found in margarine and lard, for example, also top the list. There are countless foods found in the supermarket that contain these ingredients: breads, cookies, pies, cakes, etc. Remember: for snacks, fruits or nuts are much healthier options.
- Meat, especially red meat, also tends to cause inflammation. It is not necessary to completely abandon consumption; you can start by eating meat only as a side dish, not as a main course. The only one that doesn’t make the list is fish meat, a good alternative, since it doesn’t contain much fat and helps regulate cholesterol.
- Fried foods in general are great villains. Vegetable oils such as sunflower, corn or soy cause inflammation and increase the risk of chronic disease. How about replacing it with extra virgin olive oil?
- Refined sugar – and that includes sodas and sweetened juices. Recent research has shown that sugar is one of the most addictive substances you can consume. In addition to causing inflammation, it can increase your weight, cause cavities, and many other health disorders. Again, there is no need to eliminate it altogether, just reduce consumption as much as possible. When you’re in the mood for sweets, try fruit.
- Synthetic sweeteners (such as splenda, saccharin, aspartame, among others). Avoid! Research links the use of these substances to many serious health problems. Instead, opt for natural sweeteners like honey or stevia.
- Iodized salt. It’s not harmful in and of itself, but you can opt for unrefined sea salt, which contains minerals other than sodium, such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium, that make it healthier.
- Food additives: colorings, preservatives, flavor enhancers, etc. Unfortunately, almost all processed foods contain these toxic and unhealthy ingredients.
- Dairy products such as ice cream, cheese and butter. In addition to its inflammatory action, dairy products today are loaded with hormones, antibiotics and other harmful ingredients. Avoid them when you can.
- Products derived from wheat, as this ingredient is highly acidifying and inflammatory. In addition, genetically modified wheat is common, and many serious health conditions are associated with this type of food.
- Gluten, a substance found in many grains that causes intolerance in many people. Try trying gluten-free grains or seeds, such as quinoa.
- Alcohol. Because it is rich in sugar, it harms the liver and enters the list of the most inflammatory foods for the body. The ideal is to eliminate it altogether, or consume in moderation.
So, were you surprised by the huge list of foods you need to avoid? Don’t worry. The important thing is to gradually reduce consumption and seek to follow healthier habits. Soon, your body will reward you, making you feel more beautiful, healthier and happier!
The information contained on this page is for informational purposes only. They do not replace the advice and follow-up of doctors, nutritionists, psychologists, physical education professionals and other specialists.
Are You Ready to Discover Your Twin Flame?
Answer just a few simple questions and Psychic Jane will draw a picture of your twin flame in breathtaking detail: